Monday, September 26, 2011

finished with The Turn of the Screw!

Okay, I'm officially finished with The Turn Of The Screw, and consequently started a new book: The Portrait of a Lady. [you go Henry James!]
I couldn't decide between that; Tale Of Two Cities by Dickens and Wuthering Heighs by Emily Bronte; but eventually opted for that one.
Note to make: I asked my dad for advice. And he was obviously trying to sound clever, and he was like: "Well, dear, Dickens is a classic." And I was like "Well, dead, they're ALL classics. Duh!" -__-'' seriously.


So, about The Turn of the Screw.
It was not what I expected.
I mean, when I was first introduced to it, I thought it would be a total gothic novel, with the ghosts hanging aroung the house and, truthfully, being scarier.
Instead, I found myself caught up in a psicological book-- James knew Freud through his brother, who was a philosopher. 
With this book he wanted to give us an example of how our mind can sometimes play tricks on her.
In fact, despite the fact that the kids seem to be hiding something from the governess, and that the ghosts she's seeing appear to be two people who worked in the mansion in the past and died later on, no one can see the wraiths but her.
That leads us to the natural question: Is she REALLY seeing ghosts? Or is it just her allucinating or something?
Plus, James leaves an 'open' ending.
I mean, some were left disappointed by it--others, like me, confused.
I guess the author wanted to leave us hanging; trying to understand if this was a real ghost story or a big, fat allucination of a governess.


What did I think of the book. Well, all in all I liked it.
Sure, I took me a while to get used to James' writing, but I guess that was just cause it was meant to be a governess speaking, so of course it wouldn't be that high writing-level some might expect.
However, the purpose of the book was interesting and I liked that.




---




Going on softer grounds.
I hate Chimics. 
I really, really do.
True, I've only had one lesson of it so far, but TRUST ME, I hate it. :/
As for other subjects, I feel this year's going better.
I don't feel like studying, actually, but it's not too bad to do that, either.
Particularly, I'm loving Philosophy. It's just SO interesting. *-*
As for my German lessons, don't tell me.
My German teacher, sorry dude but it's true, is oh-so-disappointing.
We're doing NOTHING in class.
True, I've already attended a course when I was in middle school, so I already know the things we're doing, but truly, we're doing almost nothing. And if a student says that, that must be true.
It's frustrating.




---




Did YOU guys know I'd like to do a year of study abroad?
Well, I do.
And I probably won't.
Problem? moooooooooooooooooooney. Who said they don't rule the world? Because that was a total moron.
Years abroad cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and I'm not sure I can afford that.
We'll see.
I'd SO love to go in the USA for a year, I absolutely love it. I love it, love it, love it.
But I can't put too much hope on that, so I'll just think as if I wasn't going, so it'll be easier if I actually don't. ;D


Well, I wanted to say something else but apparently forgot it, so I guess it was nothing important.


xdarkwriter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello :)

My photo
This blog is part of my uni coursework in which I have to link a specific subject of interest to the general shift to digital that has affected our society in recent years. Here I am going to discuss in depth various ways in which this shift has radically changed our youth in particular, and shaped them as what is often defined as a 'digital generation'. I hope to do a decent job! Cheers